Friday, August 5, 2011

Criminal Justice Careers and Former Students

As you may know, we are the Goolsby Law Firm, LLC, Augusta, Georgia father and son criminal defense lawyers (and divorce attorneys).  Previously, I was also a federal prosecutor for over 20 years.  As an AUSA, I primarily prosecuted white collar crime and public corruption.  But there is also another aspect to my career as a criminal lawyer of which I am also very proud!  For many years, I have also taught criminal justice courses, part-time, at two local universities, (Brenau University and Augusta State).  I sometimes view my teaching gig as a "hobby that pays!"

I also derive a number of other benefits from teaching.  For instance, teaching as an adjunct college professor requires me to keep up with the latest criminal laws and policing trends.  Also, teaching, part-time, offers me an opportunity to engage in some lively discussions with bright college students about an array of issues related to criminal justice. 

Finally, I also enjoy teaching because I get to meet and interact with former students, following their graduation, as they enter the "real world" of ciminal justice, as attorneys, probation officers, juvenile court case workers, and law enforcement officers.  I cannot describe the pride I feel when I meet and work with my former criminal justice students!  Teaching is an occupation which keeps on giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment