Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Goolsby "War Story:" More Examples of Kickbacks in Fraud Cases

[Stacks of Cash Depiction from wikipedia]
Recently, I started a series of posts in which I describe examples of kickbacks which were paid in major fraud cases I saw as a former federal prosecutor. Currently, I am a criminal defense lawyer in Augusta, Georgia, where I practice law with my sons, but I handled a number of significant white collar criminal cases as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for over 20 years.

In one major "honest services" mail fraud case, the defendant construction company paid a total of $2.7 million in kickback payments to an employee of another company, in exchange for being awarded profitable construction contracts by the other company's employee. One of the many kickbacks, or rewards, paid in this case included a total of $13,945.00 paid to two dating services, (for the employee's benefit and enjoyment), including one dating service located in Atlanta and another one located in San Diego. In addition, the defendant construction company actually paid for the (other company's) employee's travel costs to fly around the country to date all the women he met through the dating services!

Now, you must admit, while fraud is wrong, those are nice kickbacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment